U060 Using Custom Reports to Create Student Groups
This lesson will guide you through using Custom Reports to create Student Groups with multiple data sources: Creating a Student Group Using Search 2.0, Creating a Student Group Using an Assessment Widget, and Custom Reports Basics to Customize a Student Group.
Use this as a guide to facilitate the training in a computer lab. Show the videos before users log in or view one video at at time for users to follow along.
Before You Get Started
- Confirm with your IT/Technology Team if you are able to access VIMEO on site/district computers.
- Visibility determines which students can be selected and created into a Student Group.
- Access to at least one assessment with student response data available.
- Basic Custom Report knowledge is helpful, but not required.
Creating a Student Group Using Search 2.0
Navigation: Students > Search 2.0
- Best to use when building a student group based on multiple data sources
- Widgets work as filters (5th Grade, English Learners, and are born in Texas)
- Widget data available is based on student information data imported
- Select Search to generate a student list then Make this a Report
- Once in the Custom Report, go to Advanced > Create a Student Group
- If the report is ever changed, the students within the Student Group will change
- To enable visibility and share the student group, go to Students > Student Groups
Creating a Student Group Using an Assessment Widget
Navigation: Assessments > List Assessments > Find and Select an Assessment > Select a portion of the overall, by standard, or by question group performance graph
- Assessment needs to have student response data
- Standard and Question Group results display if part of the assessment's design
- Visible results are based on user's visibility
- Select Create Custom Report to use Advanced>Student Group
- Title of Custom Report will be 'Name of Test' - Students in 'Performance Band/Standar/Question Group': 'Label or Type'
- To enable visibility and share the student group, go to Students>Student Groups
Custom Report Basics to Customize a Student Group
Navigation: Reports > List Reports > Find and Select the Custom Report
To further customize and create the student group with additional data, feel free to use the following tools:
- View the report at anytime to see the student list and results
- Although the title is generated for you, Edit can change the title and even add Tags to associate with the report in List Reports
- If additional data is needed from assessments, state assessments, additional student demographic data, etc., use Add Columns to add data to the report
- When needing to make the student list more specific, use Filters to drill down by the data information chosen (i.e., 5th Grade EL who earned Far Below Basic and those who earned Below Basic)
- Once your report reflects the students you would like in a Student Group, select Advanced>Create Student Group
Other tools you may explore, but are not necessary to create a student group are:
- Manage Columns
- Form Letter