Google Apps Integration
This lesson will guide you through the process of setting up Google Apps Accounts for your students from within Illuminate. The Google Apps Integration Config tool is just for a single Administrator to setup and configure the connection between Illuminate and their Google Apps Domain. There is a specific permission for this tool. Google Apps can be used in conjunction with Google SSO, but it is not necessary.
Google Apps vs. Google SSO:
- Google SSO (Single Sign On) just allows students to login using their Google Account that the district has imported / entered into Illuminate.
- Google Apps Integration allows district Staff to create Student Google accounts directly from within Illuminate (This is typically for ISI where districts are creating student accounts in Illuminate and also want to create the Google account).
Enable/Update Google Config
1. Enabled- This will default to Yes.
2. Google API JSON File- This isn't a data import, it is a required config file that is needed from within your district's Google Apps Admin API Console. The instructions at the top of the config tool in Illuminate outline the exact steps on how to get that file.
3. Student Account Format- Select the format you want the accounts in, for example, first name/last name, first name/last name/student id, etc.
4. Student Account Domain- This is the Google Domain that is used within the student's email address 'firstname.lastname@example.org.'
5. Student Temp Password Format- What do you want the students temporary password to be?
6. Student Org Unit Parent- Google Organization Units are a hierarchy structure used within Google to manage permissions for Google features.
7. Student Org Unit Format- Google Organization Units are a hierarchy structure used within Google to manage permissions for Google features.
8. Click Submit.
Setting up a Student's Google Apps Account
This tool is used for the district staff that will be able to manage and create student Google accounts directly from within Illuminate. There is a specific permission for this.
Use Student Search 2.0 to access the student's profile (Students > Search 2.0 > Enter Search Criteria > Click Student's Name).
1. Once on their demographic details page, click Google Account.
Under Google Account:
2. Give the student's account a name (The system will automatically suggest one).
3. Select the domain for the account.
4. Click Create Account.
Set Temporary Password.
Force Student to Change Password (upon login).
Organizational Unit (The system will automatically suggest one).
After a Google Account is setup
Once a student's has been setup, note that all account details now show up.
1. At the bottom of the page you can reset the password at any time by typing in a new one and clicking Update Info.
2. You can also disable a student's account by selecting Disable Google Account.