Create, Modify, and Delete an Assignment for Standards Based GradeBooks
This lesson will show you how to create a new assignment (e.g., homework, quiz, test, exam, participation score, etc.) in the Illuminate Standards Based GradeBooks.
Where to Start
Create an Assignment
The fields indicate that those fields must all be populated in order to proceed in creating and saving the assignment.
1. Short Name refers to the name of your assignment, but since it will also serve as a column header in your GradeBook spreadsheet, you do not want this to be very long.
2. Assign Date refers to when you told students about the assignment, which might be different than the date the assignment is due. It will default to the current date, but you may change it by clicking on the calendar icon (an arrow is pointing to this in the image above), navigating to the preferred date, and clicking on that date.
3. Sections refers to the students tied to the current GradeBook. This is selected by default based on current GradeBook settings.
4. Add Standard- This allows you to link assignments to standards. Use the filters to select your standard set and then the select standard dropdown to chose your specific standard for this assignment. NOTE: If you link the wrong standard and need to change/delete it, just select the correct standard and it will replace the old one with the new one.
5. When finished, click Save and return to the assigment view within the GradeBook.
Optional Assignment Details
The following fields are optional when adding and creating an assignment:
1. Add a Description if it will help you, students, and/or parents better understand the nature of the assignment (e.g., what it pertains to, a particular resource that must accompany it, etc.). This description can be seen on the parent and student portal if an active assignment.
2. Add a Due Date if the date is assigned and due on different dates (e.g., you assigned it 10/5/11, but it is due 10/7/11). Due Date refers to the date by which students must turn in the assignment. If you leave this blank, it will default to the same date entered as the Assign Date. You may enter or change this date by clicking on the calendar icon (an arrow is pointing to this in the image above), navigating to the preferred date, and clicking on that date. Scores within the asignment will NOT contrinute to the overall grade until the due date has been reached. NOTE: An assignment that is not due yet will show up as gray in your GradeBook Spreadsheet view.
3. By default Is Active? is selected as Yes, meaning the assignment can be seen in the student and parent portal view and will effect the overall grade or mark within the GradeBook. If selected as No, then the mark will NOT effect the overall grade and NOT be visible on the parent or student portal.
4. Also Save This To allows you to apply the assignment to other GradeBooks, too (so you don't have to recreate the assignment in cases where more than one class has the same one). If you need to select more than one assignment, simply hold down the Ctrl key on your PC keyboard (or Command key on your Mac keyboard) to click multiple selections, or hold down the Shift key on your PC or Mac keyboard to select all options listed between (and including) the 2 options you click.
5. Click Attach File if you want to attach a file (e.g., a pdf or Word doc of the actual assignment, etc.) to your assignment. This attachment will become available to students and parents when using Illuminate's Home Connection portal.
6. When Save and Add Another Assignment is selected, it will save the current assignment and provide a new Add Assignment screen to continue creating assignments within the GradeBook.
Whenever any changes have been made, always select Save, or Save and Add Another Assignment.
Modify and Manage Assignments
There are a few ways to access the assignment and modify or manage the assignment's information when needed.
From the Spreadsheet View
From the Assignment List View
From the Student List View
There are two ways to delete assignments from the selected GradeBook. It is best practice, to remove scores and information, prior to deleting the assignment. This helps to ensure that any removed or deleted data does not continue to stay tied to a student and their historical data.
From Manage Assignments
1. If you want to delete an assignment, click on the checkbox on the right side of the assignment information.
2. Then, select Delete from the dropdown menu at the botto.
3. Select Submit to confirm changes.
From the Spreadsheet View
You can also delete the assignment from the Spreadsheet View page by hovering over the assignment name.
1. Select Delete to remove the assignment from the GradeBook.
2. Read and select the checkbox of both statements that deleting the assignment is what you want to do.
3. Confirm to delete the assignment by selecting Yes or No.
Ready to enter assignment scores? Learn how by visiting Assignments and Scoring for All Gradebooks.
Didn't mean to delete the assignment and scores? Don't worry, learn how to Recover Assignment Scores.
For additional resources on GradeBooks, see Illuminate U's lesson: U210 Getting Started with Standards-Based Gradebook.