The Illuminate Itembank features tools to easily create items/questions, passages, and assessments. Assessments can be created using items from a community-driven public item bank, 3rd party item banks purchased by your district, items created by you, or a combination. This lesson provides you with an overview of the options available.
Where to Start
The Itembank can be accessed from Illuminate. If this is your first time visiting the Itembank, you will be required to create an account. To create an account, see the "Create an Itembank Account" lesson.
1. Click the Assessments tab.
2. Under Itembank, click Visit Itembank.
1. There are three main tabs across the top of the screen: Create, Assessments, and Items. These options allow you to create and access passages, itembank assessments, and items.
2. The area below the top navigation menu will contain information depending on the tab selected in the menu.
3. At any time, you may return to Illuminate by clicking on the Return to Illuminate link at the top right of the page. This will bring you to the List Assessments page in Illuminate.
The Create tab provides options to create a new assessment, new item, or new passage.
1. Assessment (Standard Mode) allows you to create an itembank assessment by selecting items available to you. Once your assessment is published, the answer key, answer sheet, and test booklet will be automatically accessible in Illuminate. You may use GradeCam to scan answer sheets, hand enter results, or upload results into the test. Just like assessments created directly in Illuminate, an itembank assessment with student results will automatically and instantly generate robust reports helping you to analyze the data.
2. Assessment (Quick Mode) allows you to select the standards you want to assess, set some simple criteria for the assessment (i.e. how many questions) and it will auto generate a test for you using set standards and criteria.
3. Item allows you to create your own test questions that can be later added to an itembank assessment. Items can be shared in the public item bank, district item banks, or kept in your own personal bank.
4. Passage allows you to create passages that can be linked to items. Passages can be shared in the public item bank, district item banks, or kept in your own personal bank.
The My Assessments page contain a list of your assessments that have been published or unpublished. Published assessments are also made available in your List of Assessments in Illuminate. You can search quickly through assessments by Keyword at the top of your page.
1. Create Assessment allows you to create an itembank assessment.
2. The Title of each assessment allows you to view the details of that particular assessment. If the assessment has been published (as indicated in the Published column), editing options will not be available.
3. Assessments may be duplicated clicking on the Duplicate link. This creates an editable copy in the Itembank assessment list (permission-based)
4. By selecting the Lock icon, all items within the selected assessment will be not be available for users to use when creating their own assessments in the itembank. To unlock and make all items available within the assessment, select the Lock icon again. (permission-based)
5. Assessments may be deleted by selecting the Trash Can icon. Please note, if the assessment has been published and pushed to Illuminate DnA, it will still be available in 'List Assessments'. It only deletes the assessment in the Itembank.
See the "Create an Itembank Assessment" lesson for step-by-step instructions.
The My Items page contain a list of published and unpublished items you have created.
1. Create Item allows you to create an item.
2. You can search for specific items by using the filters at the top of the page and clicking Search. Clear any previous search criteria by using Reset.
3. The ID of each item allows you to view the specific item's details. If the item has been published (as indicated in the Published column), editing options will not be available.
4. If your item has not been published yet, you may Edit your item. If you need to make changes to a published item, you will need to create a revision of that item.
5. To duplicate this item, click on the paper icon.
6. To delete your item, you can select the Trash Can icon.
7. To lock an item from use, click on the lock icon.
My Passages Options
The My Passages page contain a list of published and unpublished passages you have created. You can search through passages by keyword, etc. at the top of the page.
1. Create Passage allows you to create a passage.
2. The ID and title of each passage allows you to view the specific passage's details. If the passage has been published (as indicated in the Published column), editing options will not be available.
3. If your item has not been published yet, you may Edit your passage. If you need to make changes to a published passage, you will need to create a revision of that passage.
See the "Create a Passage" lesson for step-by-step instructions.