Create a Passage
In the Itembank, passages can be created and linked to items/questions. If you choose to, you have the option to contribute your passage to the public item bank so that it can be accessible to all Illuminate Itembank users. This lesson shows you the steps to create a passage and associate it to a bank.
Create New Passage
Single Passage Creation
Before you add a passage, make sure the passage has not already been created.
1. Choose Passage Type: Single Passage (use this option if you are adding a single passage), Passage Group (use this option if you would like to link two or three already-created single passages together). Note: This lesson focuses on adding a single passage. See the "Create a Passage Group" lesson to link two or three passages together.
2. Type the Title of the Passage. Choose a title that makes sense as the title is a searchable field. The red asterisk (*) next to Passage Title indicates this field is required.
3. Click Teacher Instructions to type instructions (e.g. Read the passage aloud to your students) if applicable.
4. Click Save & Continue.
Complete Passage Section Information
1. The Section Title and Teacher Instructions fields are not required, but you may choose to use these as additional attributes to your passage.
2. Enter the passage in the space provided. You may copy and paste text, but please be aware that some original formatting may not appear. Use the tool palette for special formatting such as bold, italics, underline, HTML, symbols, math equations, graphs, adding a table, or uploading an image. There is even a spell check tool available to check spelling in multiple languages.
3. You may add additional sections by clicking Add Section. Click the red minus (-) in the Section box to remove the section.
4. Click Save once you have finished.
Identify Passage Details
1. Go to the Details tab.
2. Choose the bank where the passage will belong. The Public item bank is an Illuminate Education community-driven bank where passages contained in that bank accessible to any user. If you only want your passage available to you, choose -None-. Districts may create their own banks to add to this list. Please contact customer service for assistance.
3. Attributes- Select the Language used in the passage (i.e. English or Spanish). The red asterisk (*) next to this indicates this field is required. Display Passage Titles- Do you want all system passage and section titles to appear? The red asterisk (*) next to this indicates this field is required. You can also give your passage a Category, Original Author, Copyright Owner, Word Count, Media Type, etc. However, these are all optional.
4. Click Save.
Publish is the final step of the passage creation process. Prior to publishing, if you would like to make changes to your passage, go to the appropriate tab to make your edits. When you are sure that your passage is in final form and can be made available to link to items, click Publish.
Note: Once a passage is published, it will be locked from further editing. To edit the passage after it has been published, a new revision must be created.
View Passage Revisions
The Revisions tab lists all versions of the passage (including the master passage) that has been revised once published. Once a passage is published and added to an item, any further revisions of that passage will not be updated for that item. When adding a passage with several revisions, the most recent revision will be used.
To view a passage revision, click on the number.
Accessing your Passages
You can find your passages at any time:
1. Select Items.
2. Click My Passages.
Here you can edit (pencil icon) and duplicate (paper icon) any of your passages.
See any of the "Create a ...... Item" lessons to build an item and link a passage to the item.